Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ouch... Stop that...

Hey Doc, It hearts when I do this....

Well then don't do that silly!

Well, that is at least where it all started. Seems that my enthusiasm for computers has caught up with me. Pain, numbness and loss of strength and range of motion in my right hand has lead to, you guessed it, Carpal Tunnel!

After fighting for it for over a year now, the decision has been made to opt for surgery. My doc, who I like and trust, is also recommending some changes to my life style. Seems that surgery is not a life long repair, and if I go back to doing the things that caused it in the first place, I will need to have the surgery again in my life time. Yea, well, we will not be doing that.

Things that have to change...

So there is a reason I did not like cheep mice. Seems that if you rest your wrist on the mouse or on the table/mouse paid while using the computer that will overtime cause issues. So thankfully my loving wife got me a very nice mouse that the Doc recommends for Christmas this year.

I am also to alternate between that and a trackball with a support.

Learn to write all over again...

They did some tests to today and found that I have lost 20% of the muscle in my right thumb due to the nerve being cut off, while I will have to rebuild that, the extent of the nerve damage is at this point, unknown. Unknown in a manner of they are not sure how much range of motion, muscle growth and overall recovery I will have post surgery.

With that in mind they are recommending I learn to be dual-handed.

With a mouse I am a rock start with the left hand. I tend to like using a mouse left handed just for the fact that the 10 pad is on the right hand side of the keyboard, and being that I am a natural righty, I use my right for most of the keyboard modifier keys.

With a pen, I am like Hellen Keller. I can't write with my left, I don't know many rightys that can. But I have to learn. So today I started all over again with writing out "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog"

Chefs Knife - Oh dear god I'm going to be dangerous for a while! Honey do we have lots of band aids.

Camera...

Hand strap is a requirement, I'm not even sure they make a left handed pro level camera.

Bike...

New grips and a raised handlebar set to take some of the weight off my hands. BUT! This is not going to be until post surgery. No undue stress on my left writs until after recovery.

Computer...

They are recommending that I start to use a track ball, hi-arch mouse, or a table for interface to the PC. Also do as much I can by alternating use of both hands. I am supposed to also learn to type using a technique called hovering. Its where you don't left your wrists touch the table or keyboard as you type. I have been doing it for this blog entry, and well its a little bit tricky.

I will keep everyone updates as to my status, rehab and recovery.

No comments: