Friday, April 3, 2009

Sense of Humor?

Do you have one?

Have you used it lately?

Did it heart when you used it?

I like to think I'm a funny person, in fact most of the time when I laughing I'm laughing at myself. Today was one of those days. The last 24 hours have been rather crappy, job offer rejection, finical stress, and just over all me making a few bad decisions. After getting all that under the bridge and starting to put together a plan of action. I was ready to move on and get back to living life rather than planning how to live it.

What does that mean? LET’S RIDE!!!!

I have found that once my legs start to heart, and the sweat start rolling I forget all the things that give me "more" gray hair, and start just thinking about what I'm doing. Where I'm riding and what my next step is.

For some reason, this Zen like state is always accompanied with the amazement that they are my feet going round and round on the peddles. For whatever reason I get great joy out of watching my feet go around in circles.

Today while ridding into work, I was in one of those moments. Allow me to paint the picture.

  • 7:45am, Harrisburg PA
  • It rained all night, and the world looks clean, wet and slick.
  • The water is rolling off my front tire and streaming up in the air, then bending from a slight breeze.
  • My legs feel really, really good today, I'm averaging 15-18mph on the flats
  • It’s 50 degrees out and I'm wearing the exact right amount of clothes.
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan Pride and Joy is on the MP3 player

Its time like this that makes me get out of bed to go ride.

Then it all came crashing down...

It seems that god has a sense of humor as well, because he took all the water in the world and had it fall on me for about 15 min. It was raining so hard I could not see. I’m not talking I was having problems seeing, I’m talking if I rolled forward enough water was getting in my eyes I think I was a fish.

After rolling to an over pass, I parked there for about 20 min till the Harrisburg monsoon season passed me by and just started laughing. I was laughing at myself, but because of all the others that were getting caught out in the rain.

I was laughing because I just did not care.

You see here were all these people running and scampering to get out of the rain, trying to keep their suits and ties dry and all looking at me like I was nuts.

I realised that I did not care that I was soaking wet, I did not case that everything in my bag was probably wet at this point. I did not care, because IT does not matter.

In the grand scheme of things, getting poured on in the rain does not matter.

So while everyone else was huddling for cover, I took god up on his offer and went out and played in the rain.

By the time I got to work, I was in that wonderful I am a kid and just played in mud puddle state of mind.

Walking past my co-workers dripping wet, I looked them all in the eyes and said “Good morning” With a smile and a bounce in my step.

After getting to my desk, some of my staff started coming in and I asked if anyone got the message about it being “Extreme Casual Friday”


It’s going to be a good day.

1 comment:

Joe said...

I am often asked "what do you do when it rains".

My answer is "I get wet. It's kind of like that shower thing that people do, only I am wearing spandex, which usually dries by the end of my work day."

Apparently if one gets wet, when not in a shower, it is dangerous and possibly deadly. At least this is what the cage drivers seem to think.

Joe