Sunday, March 22, 2009

By popular demand...

Surly Instigator Pictures and parts outline...

My I present the Surly Instigator, plus some customizations.

Frame features of note:

  • 100% 4130 CroMoly steel
  • Curved top tube to save ones junk
  • Solid piece CNC milled drop outs



  • Crank set: Shimano Deore LX
  • FT Derauiler: Shimano Deore LX
  • Chain Stays: FFF Fatties Fit Fine ;)
  • Peddles: Crank Brothers Egg Beaters

Read Derailleur: Shimano Deore (Not LX yet!)
  • Chain and Casset: SRAM
  • Wheals: Custom build on XT hubs (Or as the bike shop calls them, "I want to see you break these")
  • Drop outs: CNC'ed solid steel
  • Also notice the cross brace
  • You know you love the chain stay protector ;) $2.00
  • Breaks: BB7 rear

  • Seat Post: This is new, Thomson muti-adjustable. Its made by a guy that used to make parts for rockets. Its thicker in the front and back then it is on the sides.
  • Seat: Bont, same one I have had for well ever.
  • Rack: Aviar Painer Rack


  • Forks: Since the frame is set up for a 100 - 130mm travel fork, I decided to go with a solid fork rather then a suspension.
  • Breaks: BB5 in the front.


  • Handel bars: This is one of my better ideas.
  • Inside Climbing Bars: I have no idea who makes these I got them from Performance.com a few years ago.
  • Outside Bar Ends: Cane Creek.
  • Shifters: Generic
  • Break Controls: Avid
Yard Gnome: Gnome-be-gone Gnomes. (You know you want one)

Pet of the Day...


Kitty Roll UP?



Why Helmets Don't Suck...


Road Bike + Mud Pit = Reason number 10 skinny tires don't work well




And Introducing the all new section to the Shami

Sgt. Pezzers epic fail...


"Yep, that's the way those "New Fangled" cameras work.

2 comments:

Ben said...

That bike is so, so so hot. I'm guessing you're going to break before it does. If my HR frame ever takes a dive, I'm going for a Instigator.

Jason G. McClain said...

Thanks Ben, I'm loving it so far, and I might be crazy, but I think its faster then the Fisher Carbon.

It may just be a better fit for me as a rider, I also feel so much more conformable on it then I did the older one. Its a bit of a beast on long steep climbs, but I have a feeling that's more a factor of the rider then the bike...