Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Frame Strikes Back...

Return of the Sorrow, The Frame break strikes back...

Me: 2:15am - hu, no, what, no, hu, how, why, Luke, I'm your father, Tink, snap, wabble, graiiinnnnnddddddd.... what was that, hu...
Melissa 2:18am - Sweety, Honey, Snuggle bear (yes she calls me snuggle bear, got a problem with that?) Wake up, your having a bad dream.
Me: Hu?, oh thank god, I had the worst dream, I dreamt that I broke bottom bracket off the fish while on my way to work.
Melissa: ahhh, honey?
Me: Yea babe?
Melissa: Ya did, that was no dream
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

So after work yesterday I got a ride from one of my co-workers, (THANK YOU DOUG!) back to my truck. From there it was over to the local Trek LBS, where they took some pictures of my poor little fish. :( . After that it was off to my typical LBS for the stripping party (sounds so dirty), they were sickly busy while I was there, so it was a drop off, BS for a while and then home. Sniff, Sniff, missing trigger.....

On a high note, Dave H., Joe H, and Chris L. (f) all offered up replacement rides to keep me spinning till I get the replacement from Trek. I took Dave up on riding him M80 for a while. HOLY truck, this things is HUGE, keep in mind that he is about 6'9" and has 2, count them 2 sets of risers on the front tube. I don't think you could get a more upright riding position on a beach cruiser if you tried.

Something I never thought of, Dave and I ride two completely DIFFERENT saddles. His are small, narrow and HARD!!!(shut up) mine are flared in the back, narrow front and sweetly cushioned(also shut up).

Got to work fine, but OHHH my acing back side. Going to be stopping in at the LBS to pick up my saddle tonight. I was kicking around the idea of getting my wheals as well and switch them out for the lower rolling resistance, but I'm thinking that skinny tires would look out of place on that MT bike. (Did I just make a bike set up decision purly on the visual aesthetics?)

Steve, (you all remember Steve, the wonderful human that gave me the phone number for Trek Support :)) read over the blog and has made a posting for Why Helmets don't suck. So with out further adoooo.

Why Helmets Don't Suck...

Text complements of Steve.

So, I'm riding my mountain bike to work the other morning, just like I do every day that I can. That is, every day there's no snow on the ground! They have torn up one good stretch of road along my commute, but I refuse to be diverted from my path, and hey, I do ride an "all terrain" vehicle.

The left side of the road is having new piping buried, and is currently a mix between a ditch and a dirt road in places, the right side is untouched pavement, and usually clear to ride on. At my favorite little downhill stretch, I see a big bucket loader at the bottom of the hill coming my way. I hop down into the dirt on the left and pick up speed. At the bottom I see (too late) that there is a pile of sandy fill waiting to be spread around.

"Oh f*ck..."

I lean back and try to "float" the bike over the sand.

The bike has other ideas, and stops dead.

Bail, fly, bounce, skid, stop.

At one point I felt like a 'tard sliding into home base ass first.

"ouch"

I stand up to a round of applause as the construction workers have just had their entertainment for the day.

At least neither the bike or myself are broken, and I get to work without further incident.

And I get a new dumbass biking trophy, road rash.

The moral of the story? Helmets, gloves and Camelbaks = bikers armor!

Pet of the Day...

1 comment:

Ben said...

Dude! That's *exactly* the way my Trek 7.3FX broke last year, and *exactly* how every other broken Trek frame I've heard of has, err, broke. In other words, that sucks major ass, but don't blame yourself.

Hope you get your ride back soon, but good to hear you have folks steppin up for you in the interim. Keep ridin', soon enough you'll have a Surly and won't be able to stop.. trust me!