Friday, July 18, 2008

Up, Down, Up, Down...

I think of strange stuff when on the bike all by myself, audio book playing in my ear you would think nothing would pop in there. Then BANG!, all alone with my thoughts I think of “how much force is holding my back wheal into the drop out”. This is due largely in part because of a conversation Dave H. and I had over morning coffee, when we discovered to our ultimate shgrin and horror that the only thing holding our back wheal on was a threaded rod and friction. I’ve snapped threaded rods, and while I understand the vector forces involved in friction (My High School Physics Teacher would be so proud) I have also compromised frictions hold many, many times. All of this got me to thinking how much it would if the back wheal ever fell off. First word that came to mind “OUCH”. I relies that for this disaster to happen the bike would need to be in the air, or at least have my impressive and gravity condemning girth no longer pressing down upon it. After a while I got to thinking about the carnage that would ensue following the loss of a back wheal, I tried to think of the casualties that would be involved. This is the list I came up with:

  1. Rear Derailleur is TOAST!
  2. Drop outs, are gone
  3. Chain ring will probably be missing some teeth
  4. Due to the impact, my chain stays would most likely not be quite in the same shape as the manufacture intended.
  5. Rider – shudder to think, but on the next turn of the peddle I will slam my foot into the ground while moving forward at say 14mph. This causing the bike to pitch aggressively to one side, thus throwing me into the air with my other foot still in attached to the peddle. While flying throw the air I intend to soil myself (might be the last time, so I figure what the hell). Also while in the air, I will be thinking;
    1. This is going to SUCK
    2. Boy I wish I was wearing a bit more protective gear, Like the Bear Suit
    3. See!!!! Helmets don’t sucks!!!!
    4. My Collar bone – Look mom a shiny new bike part, Its made from Titanium and it’s in my shoulder.
Well with all that said, I got to work today save and sound. A little bit hot, but never the less alls well that does not fall down.

Numbers on the day:
Time: 21:45
AVG: 12.6mph
Max: 26.4
Trip: 4.5
ODO: 237


No comments: